🠈 Wyndham Worldwide 🠊
As of 5/2012, Wynham claimed 7,190 hotels with 609,600 rooms in 66 countries under 15 hotel brands. The hotels range from comfortable bargains at Days Inn to luxury suites.
NOTE: Most hotels are locally owned franchises. The brand name conveys information about the quality of the hotels. The franchise does regular inspections and provides backend services such as online reservations.
From the 1940s through the 1970s, several independent companies were developing brands. Many of the brands were dependent on the personality of the founders. In the 1980s and 1990s, many of the brands began to merge under larger umbrella companies like the Hospitality Franchise Systems run by Henry Silverman.
In 1997, HFS merged with a Wall Street Darling company called Comp-U-Card which was rapidly expanding through merger and acquisition. CUC changed its name to Cendant. Cendant owned a ton of brands including Avis, Budget, Coldwell Banker®, Century 21®, etc..
Above all else, Cendant owned a $500M accounting scandal that came to light in 1998. By 2004, Cendant broke up into four separate companies with Wynham Hotel Group owning the hotel brands.
This is a list of acquisitions that I come across.
- 2017-07: Wyndham acquired AmericInn for $170m *.
- 2017-11: American Hotel Income Properties converts 44 Oak Tree Inn properties to Baymont Suite, Travelodge and Super 8 motels.
About the Brands
- Days Inn (offering budget luxury) was founded by Cecil B. Day in 1970. The first inn was on Tybee Island, Georgia.
- Amerihost Inn was founded in 1989 by Arlington Hospitality. This is a small franchise chain (about 100 hotels) built on a prototype of a 2 to 3 story building with an interior corridor and indoor pool. The chain became part of the Cendant family in the late 1990s.
- Baymont Inns and Suites is a suite motel. The first motel was opened in Oshkosh in 1974 with the name "Budgetel". The hotel changed its name to Baymont in 1998.
- Howard Johnson (HoJo) came to life in 1925 when Howard Deering Johnson noticed that the soda fountain was the busiest part of his drugstore. The young company changed its focus to hospitality and soon offered 28 flavors of ice cream. The ice cream stands expanded into restaurants along major motor routes. In 1954, Hojo expanded into the motor lodge business and continued to grow through the 1970s. HoJo suffered financial downturn during the oil embargo of the 1970s and recession of the early 1980s. It became part of the Cendant family in the 1990s.
- Knights Inn is a chain of budget hotels. The prototype is a one story hotel with a medieval-like architecture. There are about 225 Knights Inns across the nation. Knights Inn was purchased by Cendant in 1995.
- Ramada Inn was founded by restauranteur Marion W. Isbell in 1954. The first inn was opened on Route 66 in Flagstaff, Arizona. The term "ramada" means shady resting place. The hotel is noted for its Comfortstar Beds and CoolDip pools. the company suffered during the recession of the 1980s. It became part of Cendant in the 1990s.
- Super 8 Motels is a leading budget hotel chain that has grown to over 2000 properties. Super 8 Motels founded by Dennis Brown in the early 1970s.
- Travelodge is a budget motel chain founded by Scott King. The first Travelodge motel opened in San Diego in 1940. The web site currently lists over 500 motels in North America. Travelodge motels emphasize functional amenities and are often centrally located. The chain's mascot is a sleepy bear.
- Wingate Inn is a new brand of hotels founded in 1996. There are currently over 100 Wingate hotels.
- Wyndham Hotels was founded by a Dallas developer named Chris Mabey. The company merged with Patriot American Hospitality. The company was undergoing a period of development when the 9/11/2001 attacks caused a troubling dip in the market. Wyndham eventually was acquired by the Blackstone Investment group and became the name sake of Wyndham Worldwid.
- Navajo County - Lodging: Travelodge - Winslow
- Yuma County - Lodging: Wyndham
- Colorado Springs Color - Lodging: Travelodge
- Colorado Springs Color - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Colorado Springs Color - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Denver Color - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Denver Color - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Denver Color - Lodging: Wingate Inn
- Durango Colorado - Lodging: Travelodge
- Durango Colorado - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Durango Colorado - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Garfield Colorado Links - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Grand Junction - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Grand Junction - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Steamboat Springs Me - Lodging: Travelodge - Yampa
- Beaver County - Travel: Days Inn, Super 8 and Travelodge
- Carbon County Color - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Cedar City - Lodging: Super 8
- Cedar City - Lodging: Travelodge
- Cedar City - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Logan Utah - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Moab - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Moab - Lodging: Super 8 Moab
- Ogden, Utah - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Park City, Utah - Vacation Property: Wyndham Vacation Rentals
- Provo Utah - Lodging: Travelodge
- Provo Utah - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Saint George - Lodging: Travelodge
- Saint George - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Saint George - Lodging: Super 8 Motel - Hurricane
- Salt Lake Sites - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Salt Lake Sites - Lodging: Ramada Inn
- Salt Lake Sites - Lodging: Baymont Inn & Suites
- Vernal, Utah. US - Lodging: Super 8 Motel
- Cheyenne, Wyoming. US - Lodging: Travelodge