🠈 Curves International 🠊
Curves International is a chain of fitness franchises that grew big quickly.
The company was founded in 1992 by Gary and Diane Heavin. The Heavins designed a short 30 minute fitness session with strength training and weight loss guidance in a women's only environment.
Curves began franchising the concept in 1995. Women, tired of the meat-market atmosphere of traditional gyms embraced the concept and the franchise was an instant success.
Curves crossed the 6,000 franchise mark in 7 years. They listed over 10,000 franchises in 2006 but have since shed several thousand locations. Wikipedia claimed curves listed just 367 franchises in 2019.
In my years of following Curves, I've noticed that the Curves franchises turn over regularly and often change location. Members of Curves should check the corporate web site regularly to keep up on the local franchises.
Their Youtube channel has hundreds of videos. This video shows a VP talking about franchises.
This section lists corporate transactions that I encounter in other research.
- 1992: Gary and Diane Heavin opened Curves in Harlingen, Texas.
- 2004: Gary Heavin was criticized in the media for supporting pro-life pregnancy centers when the politically correct thing to do is to support Planned Parenthood.
- 2012: North Castle Partners invested in Curves.
- 2013: NCP acquired Jenny Craig brand from Nestlé.
- 2018: The NCP site says they ended the investment.
- Wikipedia - Curves (Drawn 8/23/2020)
- Phoenix Color - Fitness: Curves
- Boulder Color - Fitness: Curves International
- Grand Junction - Fitness: Curves International
- Missoula Websites - Fitness: Curves International
- Cedar City - Recreation: Curves International
- Provo Utah - Fitness: Curves International
- Salt Lake Sites - Fitness: Curves International
- Tooele - Recreation: Curves International
- Vernal, Utah. US - Recreation: Curves for Women
- Wasatch Color - Health: Curves International
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next