🠈 Sylvan Learning 🠊
Sylvan Learning is a franchise offering supplemental education, after school programs and tutoring. The schools have a solid program for teaching reading and with along with a strong emphasis on STEM education and college preparation.
Silvan Learning was founded by W. Berry Fowler in 1979. He opened the first location in the Sylvan Hill Medical Center Building in Portland.
The company moved its corporate headquarters to Bellevue, Wa in 1983. The company reached 500 franchises in 1986 at which point it went public.
Sylvan was, at the prodding of junk-bond-king Michael Milken, acquired by KinderCare in 1987. Milken encouraged KinderCare to take on $620M in debt and, applying basic math, KinderCare went bankrupt. KinderCare spun off Sylvan in 1993.
In 2003, Sylvan Learning Systems decided to focus on post-secondary education. They sold the Sylvan Learning franchise system to Apollo Management and changed the company name to Laureate International Universities. Laureate owns universities around the globe.
Sylvan Learning, with its new headquarters in Baltimore, went public in 2004 with the name Educate, Inc and the symbol EEEE. Educate Inc was acquired by a private equity firm led by Sterling Group and Citibank in 2007.
- Phoenix Color - Learning: Sylvan Learning
- Colorado Springs Color - Education: Sylvan Learning
- Denver Color - Schools: Sylvan Learning
- Missoula Websites - Learning: Sylvan Learning
- Davis County - Information: Sylvan Learning
- Provo Utah - Schools: Sylvan Learning
- Saint George - Schools: Sylvan Learning
- Salt Lake Sites - Tutor/After School: Sylvan Learning
- Wikipedia - Sylvan Learning (Drawn 11/2/2017)
- Bizjournal - Educate Inc. to be acquired in $535M deal (Drawn 11/2/2017)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next