🠈 Toray Group 🠊
I started this page as I was interested in who owned Engineering Technology Corp pictured above. They were acquired by ">Zoltek which manufactures carbon fiber. Zoltek was acquired by Toray.
Toray Industries, Inc. (東レ株式会社) is a multinational firm based in Japan that provides advanced composite materials for manufacturing. They are a leading provider of carbon fiber. Toray trades on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
As the company is headquarted in Tokyo, I suspect that the subsidiaries have an official name in Japanese. Many of the brands would have translations in a latin based language.
The English web sites with information on Toray Industries appear to lack details; So I harvested the brand names and names of subsidiaries from the web site.
The Toray Products page listed a huge number of brands. Many of the brands have their own web sites. As the products are used in manufacturing, the list is somewhat meaningless to the public at large. These are a few of the brands: TORAY NYLON™, TORAY TETORON™,, QUUP™, CEOα™, TORAYLON™, PENTAS™, AIRLET™, TORCON™, AXTAR™, BCF (Bulked Continuous Filament), TOYOFLON™, SIVERAS™, ecodear™, ECOUSE™, SILLOOK™, GULFENG™, ENTRANT™, Dermizax™, FIELDSENSOR™, Primeflex™, Airtastic™, SUMMER SHIELD™, ARTIROSA™, SILLOOKDUET™, senbism™, Ultrasuede™, Ecsaine™, hitoe™, MAKSPEC™, semiramis™, TETREX™, Hi-sofy™, NAFLAME™, HugFit™, LIVMOA™, TOYOLAC™, Amilan™, TORAYCON™, SIVERAS™, TORELINA™, TORAYPEF™, TORAYCA™Resin, TORAYMILL™, AQ Nylon, INTERCAT™, INTERDOG™, RAPROS™, Lumirror™, Torelina™, mictron™, TORAYFAN™, PICASUS™, DECOFIT™, SETELA™, TUFTOP™, TORAYCERAM™, Cerapeel™, RAYTELA™, RAYBRID™, FALDA™, SEMICOFINE™, PHOTONEECE™, TOPTICAL™, Photoclear™, TORELIEF™, TORAY WATERLESS PLATE™, Scintillator, PHOTOBLACK™, TORELIEF™, RESOLUCIA™, IMPRIMA™, PRIXIA™, TORAYCA™, Toray RO, Toray MBR, torayvino™, TORAYSHOWER™, TORAYSEE™, TORAYCLEAN™. TORAYMICRON™, BREATH-O™, TORAYLIGHT™, TORAYMYXIN™（PMX), INOUE BALLOON™, 3D-Gene™
Below I list a few of the web sites and subsidiearies of this multinational firm. Tracing the corporate history is beyond my means. The site Toray.US has news about the company's expansion in the United States. Toray EU has information on the firm in Europe.
- Toray Carbon Magic Co., Ltd. engages in research and development of carbon fibers in Japan.
- PMC Performance Materials manufactures thermoplastic composites for footwear and consumer electronics in China.
- Toray Composite Materials America, Inc develops polyacrylonitrile based carbon fibers with facilities in Tacoma, Decatur, Spartanburg and Dallas.
- Performance Materials Corp. manufactures and markets thermoplastic composites and laminates for the sporting goods, footwear and medical markets.
- Toray Advanced Materials Korea developes and manufactures PET film, carbon fibers and other advanced materials in Korea.
- Zoltek is a leading producer of carbon fibers.
- Engineering Technology of Salt Lake City manufacturers filament winding systems.
- Toray Advanced Composites manufactures thermoset prepregs and molded parts for the aerospace and industrial markets.
- Euro Advanced Carbon Fiber Composites GmbH manufactures CFRP parts and components for automobiles.
- Toray Carbon Fibers Europe S.A. manufactures polyacrylonitrile-based carbon fiber products in Lacq, France.
- Composite Materials (Italy) s.r.l. manufactures carbon fiber fabrics and preprags in Milano, Italy.
- Delta-Tech S.p.A. makes resin matrices for carbon fiber prepregs in Italy.
- Toray Advanced Composites Holdings BV holds the TAC Group in the Netherlands.
- Ichimura Sangyo Co., Ltd. manufactures textiles.
- Ogaki Fuso Spinning Co., Ltd manufacturing and markets spun yarns
- Sowa Textile Co., Ltd. manufactures synthetic fibers.
- Toray Amtecs Inc. maufactures carpets and artificial turf.
- Toray Alphart Co, Ltd engages in the planning and sales of textiles.
- Toray Advanced Computer Systems engages in data management related to textiles.
- Toray Opelontex Co., Ltd manufactures and markets LYCRA® products
- Toray Coatex Co., Ltd. manufactures and markets polishing materials.
- Toray Textiles engages in manufacturing and marketing of textiles.
- Du Pont-Toray Co., Ltd. manufactures Hytrel® polyester elastomer, Kapton® polyimide film and Kevlar® para-aramid fiber.
- Toray Hybrid Cord, Inc manufactures cord used in tires and other industrial and consumer products.
- Toray Monfilament Co, Ltc creates processed monofilament products.
- Maruichi Fiber Co., Ltd. manufactures synthetic fibers and spun yarn.
- Marusa Co., Ltd. produces spun yarn
- Sunrich Mode Inc. manufactures uniform wear and products like products such as hitoe®, LIVMOA® and YOISYUTO™
- Japan Apparel System Science Co., Ltd. engages in pattern making, grading, marketing and CAD/CAM consulting.
- Toray Ultrasuede Marketing, Inc. manufactures products using Ultrasuede® such as purses, bags and interior goods.
- P.T. TI Matsuoka Winner Industry (TIMW) manufactures apparel in Indonesia.
- P.T. Acryl Textile Mills (ACTEM) spins and dyes yarn in Indonesia.
- P.T. Century Textile Industry Tbk (CENTEX) spins and weaves textiles in Indonesia.
- P.T. Easterntex spins and weaves textiles.
- P.T. Indonesia Synthetic Textile Mills spins and weaves textiles.
- P.T. Indonesia Toray Synthetics manufactures nylon and polyester filaments in Indonesia.
- P.T. Toray Polytech Jakarta manufactures polypropyline spunbound products in Indonesia
- Toray Textiles (Thailand) Public Company Limited produces textiles in Thailand.
- Thai Toray Synthetics Co., Ltd. manufactures synthetic textiles.
- Vietnam TNT Fibers Co., Ltd.
- Penfabric Sdn. Berhad produces cotton and P/C woven products in Malaysia.
- Penfibre Sdn. Berhad produces polyester synthetic fibers in Malaysia
- Toray Industries (India) Private Limited produces resin compound products, polypropyline fibers and air filter products in India
- Toray Kusumgar Advanced Textile Private Limited manufactures fabric and airbags.
- TM Textiles & Garments Limited is based in Bangladesh
- Pacific Textiles Holdings Limited manufactures knitted, dyed and printed fabrics in China.
- Toray Fibers (Nantong) Co., Ltd. produces synthetic fibers and air filters in China.
- Toray Fibers & Textiles Research Laboratories engages in the research and development of fibers and polymers in China.
- Toray Polytech manufactures and develops polyropyline products in China.
- Toray Sakai Weaving & Dyeing weaves, dyes and markets polyester filament textiles.
- Toray Advanced Materials Korea Inc. manufactures and markets PET film.
- Toray Fluorofibers, Inc manufactures and markets fluorofibers in Decatur, Ga.
- Toray Advanced Textile Mexico, S.A. de C.V. manufactures fibers, fabrics and airbags.
- Toray Textiles Europe Ltd. weaves and dyes polyester filament textiles in England.
- Alcantara S.p.A. manufactures ALCANTARA® covering materials in Italy.
- Toray Textiles Central Europe s.r.o. manufactures fabrics in the Czech Republic.
- Alva Sweden AB (ＡＳＥ) manufactures air bags in Sweden.
- Alva Confecções, S.A. manufactures cushions for airbags in Portugal
- Alva Tunisia S.A. manufactures cushions for airbags in Tunisia.
- Toray Plastics Precision Co., Ltd. molds and markets plastics in Japan.
- Toray PEF Products, Inc manufactures products with polyolefin foam.
- P.T. Petnesia Resindo manufactures PET resins for bottle applications in Indonesia.
- Toray BASF PBT Resin Sdn. Berhad manufactures PBT resins in Malaysia.
- Toray Resin Co manufactures performance plastics for the automotive industry in Shelbyville, In.
- Soda Aromatic Co., Ltd. manufactures aromatic chemicals in Japan.
- Dow Toray Co., Ltd. is a joint project with Dow Chemicals which makes silicone based products in Japan.
- DuPont Toray Specialty Materials Kabushiki Kaisha creates specialty chemical products such as MOLYKOTE® speciality lubricants.
- Toray Fine Chemicals produces chemicals including DMSO, THIOKOL™, acrylic polymer coatings and meltblown fabrics.
I started this page to find out who owned Engineering Technologies pictured at the top of this page. Toray Group is a conglomerate based in Japan with multiple divisions. I did not find a decent page about the merger history of Toray.
- 1926: the trading company Mitsui Bussan created Toyo Rayon to produce rayon.
- 1941: Toyo reverse-engineered the process for creating nylon discovered by Wallace Carothers of DuPont in 1935.
- 1946: DuPont requested a patent refringement investigation by the General Headquarters of Allied Powers. GHQ found no evidence of infringement.
- 1957: Toray opened its office in New York
- 1970: Company rebranded as Toray.
- 1987: Toray opened Toray Resin in Shelbyville, In to make resin products for automotive industry.
- 2013: Toray acquired Zoltek for $584 M.2
History of Zoltek
- 1975: Hungarian immigrant Zsolt Rumy founded Zoltek as a distributor of chemicals in St Louis.2.
- 1988: Zoltek acquired Stackpole Fibers and entered the carbon fiber business.
- 1992: Zoltek raises $4 million with IPO using symbol ZOLT.
- 1995: Zoltek acquired Magyar Viscosa of Hungary which made acrylic fibers.
- 1995: Zoltek raised $26.3 million in a secondary offering of 1.85 million shares. 1999: Zoltek acquired Structural Polymer Holdings.
- 1999: Zoltek acquired Cape Composites Inc
- 1999: Zoltek acquired Engineering Technology Inc.
- 1962: Company was founded as a manufacturer of filament winding systems.
- 1999: Zoltek acquired Composite Machines Company Inc.
- 2013: Quinpario Partners attempted a hostile take over of Zoltek.
- Wikipedia - Toray Industries (Drawn 1/2/2023)
- Business Standard - Toray to acquire Zoltek (Drawn 1/2/2023)
- Funding Universe - Zoltek (Drawn 1/2/2023)
- SPGlobal - Toray acquires TenCate (Drawn 1/2/2023)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next