🠈 Sam Zell and Equity Group 🠊
Sam Zell & The Equity Group
Sam Zell (1941 - present) née Shmuel Zielonka, is a American investor and founder of Equity Group Investments is an American financier based in Chicago.
I've noticed that journalists often refer to transactions from The Equity Group as Sam Zell. I am not certain about the relation between the two groups.
I often encounter the name Sam Zell or The Equity Group in my research of mergers and acquisitions; So, I will list transactions that feature Zell or The Equity Group as if they were the same thing.
This section only includes transactions that I've encountered in other research.
- 1963: Zell graduated from the University of Michigan. He managed a 15 unit apartment while in college.
- 1969: Zell established Equity Residential.2
- 1993: Equity swapped 20% in company for for 6,000 apartments from Equity Realty.
- 1993: Equity the company acquired a large portfolio of properties from Barry Sternlicht after the savings and loan crisis.2
- 1993: Equity Residential held an IPO. They owned 22,000 apartments at the time.2
- Zell/Chilmark Fund acquired Schwinn Bicycle from bankruptcy court and moved Schwinn's corporate headquarters to Boulder, Colorado.
- 1997: Equity Residential acquired Wellsford Residential Property Trust for $620 million in stock and the assumption of $346 million of debt.2
- 1997: Equity Residential acquired Evans Withycombe Residential for $625 million in stock and the assumption of $432 million in debt.2
- 1998: Equity Residential acquired 5,774 apartments from Lincoln Property Company for $465 million2.
- 1998: Equity Residential acquired Merry Land, which owned 34,990 units, for $1.17 billion in common stock, $270 million in preferred stock and $656 million in debt.2
- 1999: Equity Residential acquired Lexford Residential Trust for $203 million in stock and the assumption of $530 million of debt.2
- 2001: Equity Residential joined the S&P 500.2
- 2006: A private firm in NJ acquired the Lexford which provided 27,115 affordable housing units for $1.09 billion.2
- 2007: Sam Zell took the Tribune Company private in a $8.2 billion transaction.
- 2013: Equity Residential and AvalonBay Communities acquired Archstone from Lehman Brothers for $9 billion.2
- 2013: Goldman Sachs and Greystar Real Estate Partners bought 8,010 apartment units from Equity Residential for $1.5 billion.2
- 2016: Starwood Capital Group acquired 23,262 apartments for $5.365 billion.2
- Wikipedia - Sam Zell (Drawn 7/24/2022)
- Wikipedia - Equity Residential (Drawn 7/24/2022)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next