🠈 Sinclair Broadcasting Group 🠊
Sinclair Broadcast Group
Sinclair Broadcast Group is a rapidly expanding media company.
This section lists major media acquisitions by the company.
- 1958: Julian Sinclair Smith formed the Commercial Radio Institute to build an FM Radio Station in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1967: Smith built UHF channel 45 in Baltimore as Chesapeake Engineering Placement Service.
- 1985: Julian's son David D. Smith joined the firm.
- 1990: Company changed its name to Sinclair Broadcast Group.
- 1991: Sinclair sold WPTT to Eddie Edwards. This company received its financing from the Smith family and had a "local marketing agreement" creating a duopoly in certain markets. This group is now Cunningham Broadcasting.
- 1995: Sinclair acquired Act III Broadcasting.
- 1996: Sinclair acquired River City Broadcasting
- 2011: Sinclair acquired Four Points Media from Cerberus Capital Management for $200 million. Stations include (WTVX, WTCN, WWHB in Florida, WLWC in Rhode Island, KEYE in Texas, KUTV and KMYU in Utah)
- 2013: Sinclair sold WLWC to OTA Broadcasting.
- 2011: Sinclair purchased eight television stations from bankrupt Freedom Communications
- 2012: Sinclair acquired six stations from Newport Television (including WKRC-TV in Ohio, WOAI-TV in San Antonio, WHP-TV and WLYH-TV in Pennsylvania, WPMI-TV and WJTC in Alabama, and KSAS-TV in Kansas) for $412.5
- 2012: Sinclair sold WSTR-TV and KMYS, to Deerfield Media to satisfy FCC rules.
- 2012: Sinclair acquired WUTB based in Baltimore.
- 2013: Sinclair acquired KFOX-TV in El Paso, Texas, WJAC-TV in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, KRXI-TV in Reno, Nevada and WTOV-TV in Steubenville, Ohio from Cox Media.
- 2013: Sinclair acquired Barrington Broadcasting which had 18 stations including (KXRM and KXTU of Colorado, WFXL in Georgia, WHOI in Illinois, WLUC WEYI WBSF WPBN WGTU in Michigan, KRCG at KTVO of Missouri, KHQA in Illinois, WSTM WTVH WSTQ of New York, WNWO of Ohio, WACH WPDE WWMB of South Carolina, KVII, KGBT of Texas).
- 2013: Sinclair sold WSYT to Bristlecone Broadcasting, LLC.
- 2013: Sinclair merged with Fisher Communications of Seattle which owned 20 TV stations and 3 radio stations.
- 2013: Sinclair purchased Dielectric Communications that supplied of television broadcasting antennas
- 2013: Sinclair purchased seven stations owned Allbritton Communications for $985 million.
- 2014: Sinclair swapped WTTA in Tampa and KXRM-TV of Colorado Springs to Media General for WJAR in Providence, Rhode Island, and WLUK-TV and WCWF in Green Bay and WTGS in Savannah, Georgia.
- 2014: Sinclair purchased KSNV from Intermountain West Communications Company for $120 million.
- 2017: Sinclair acquired Tennis Media Company for $8 million, which includes the Tennis.com website and Tennis magazine
- 2017-2018: Sinclair acquired Tribune Media. The move has been the subject of intense FCC and media scrutiny as Sinclair is apparently a supporter of the Trump Administration.
- Wikipedia - Sinclair Broadcast Group (Drawn 5/13/2018)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next