Internet Rivers: Internet
The medium is the message. To help you learn about the Internet on the Internet, this page lists a variety of links with a variety of Internet services.
- Net Nanny (*) - review
Net Nanny and Content Watch have combined to provide a selection of tools and filter that can filter unwanted porn or content from the computers in your control.
- Internet Society (ISOC) (www.isoc.org)
The internet society compiles information on the internet. It includes several histories of the internet, and some statistics.
- Copyright Website (www.benedict.com)
A web site with information on copyright laws, fair use, etc.
- Opera Software (www.opera.com)
The Opera Web Browser is designed from the ground up for speed, and is one of the most promising alternatives to Internet Explorer and Netscape. The free version has an ad in the corner. The adless version is about $40.00.
- ESRI - The GIS Software Leader (www.esri.com)
- Teoma Search (teoma.com)
Teoma is a new internet search engine that ranks pages by relevancy
- mozilla.org (www.mozilla.org)
Mozilla is involved in browser development and provides services to keep the internet open to all.
- DNS Stuff (www.dnsstuff.com)
Site lets you do DNS lookups, trace routes and a few other cool things.
a tutorial on .htaccess files.
- Linking and Crawling Issues (www.ivanhoffman.com)
This web site by Ivan Hoffman includes several pages on the legal issues plaguing the Internet.
- IPv6: The Next Generation Internet! (www.ipv6.org)
Short on IP addresses. The Internet will be moving to IPv6. So prepare for longer Internet addresses in the near future.
- The Spamhaus Project - ROKSO (www.spamhaus.org)
Site has a list of some of the worst spammers on the net. I receive 700 spams a day. I wish it would stop!
- Search Engine Dictionary: (www.searchenginedictionary.com.)
Has the vocabulary used in search engine optimization.
- U.S. Copyright Office (www.copyright.gov)
Web site for the US copyright office.
- Internet Traffic Report (www.internettrafficreport.com)
Overview of the current status of the internet.
- Stop Badware (www.stopbadware.org)
A site opposed to internet companies that do bad things to people ... like install adware, spam and bad things.
- Annomate Online Calendar (www.annomate.com)
Provides an online personal organizer featuring calendars, contact manager, file and photo sharing, invitations, bookmarks, and more.
- Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor (www.siteadvisor.com)
This page by McAfee lists safety ratings and tests downloads from web sites.
- Rex Swain's HTTP Viewer (www.rexswain.com)
This useful tool lets you see the HTTP Header sent along with web pages from your site.
- AboutUs (www.aboutus.org)
AboutUS.org is a wiki developing pages about web sites on the internet.
- Anti-Phishing Working Group (www.antiphishing.org)
Industry group working against internet scams.
- Webroot Antivirus (merchant profile)
Webroot, a firm from Boulder, offers the best protection against viruses, spyware data theft and hackers.
- Citizen Media Law Project (www.citmedialaw.org)
A site with information on laws affecting "citizen media".
- Spam Arrest (www.spamarrest.com)
SpamArrest uses a challenge response method to stop spam emails.
- Copyscape (www.copyscape.com)
Stop Plagiarism. Copyscape is a site designed to help you find copies of your web site on the net.
- Global Information Security Certification (www.giac.org)
Information Security Certification [GIAC) provides information security certifications for IT managers and security professionals.
- SANS Institute (sans.org)
SANS provides information security training.
- National Broadband Plan (www.broadband.gov)
The National Broadband plan is an initiative by the Obama administration to establish Federal control of the Internet.
- Visualize Traffic (www.visualizetraffic.com)
Visualize Traffic shows estimated visitors for web sites. I linked to the visualization for this site. Just change the URL for your site.
- Domain Tools - Community Color (whois.domaintools.com)
I spend a great deal of time on DomainTools researching domains. This links shows the profile page for this site.
- WebSitePulse Test Tools HTML Code (www.websitepulse.com)
Web Site Pulse lets you test your web site for availability and response time.
- Chrome (chrome.com)
Chrome is a browser offered by Google.
- MaxMind (www.maxmind.com)
MAxMind offers a database of geodata and fraud data for IP addresses. I am interested in the City Database that would let me look up 50,000 IPs for $20.
- What browser am I using? (www.whatismybrowser.com)
- The Internet map (internet-map.net)
This fun site shows popular web sites as if they were stars in galaxies.
- WISPA (www.wispa.org)
WISPA promotes the development, advancement and unification of the wireless Internet service provider industry.
- Spambot Security's (www.spambotsecurity.com)
Site offers programs to protect against spambots and hackers.
- User-Agents (www.user-agents.org)
Site provides an index to common user agents including spiders, bots and crawlers.
- OnGuard Online (www.onguardonline.gov)
This site by the Department of Justice has information about internet security and avoiding online scams.
- Online OCR (www.onlineocr.net)
Online OCR offers a service that converts images containing text to text and word documents. You get 25 free conversions, then buy additional bundles of pages.
- Pingdom (tools.pingdom.com)
This tool tests the speed of a web site.
- Ask Leo! (askleo.com)
Ask Leo offers IT support for the general public.
- US-CERT | United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (www.us-cert.gov)
US-CERT strives for a safer, stronger Internet for all Americans by responding to major incidents, analyzing threats, and exchanging critical cybersecurity information with trusted partners around the world.
- What's my resolver? (whatsmyresolver.stdlib.net)
This page shows the computer that resolved the DNS lookup for the page. The linux command dig whoami.akamai.net returns same number.
- Search Engine Honesty (www.searchenginehonesty.net)
This site is an editorial about Internet bias.
- IP-Information (ip-guide.com)
Site has information about IP addresses including analysis of trustworthiness of an ip (which can give info on a web site).
- Stop Online Censorship (www.stoponlinecensorship.com)
PragerU became interested in Google's ability to censor the Internet after a few of their videos were marked "restricted."
Category Hits 15119
*This is an affiliate link.