🠈 Sonoco 🠊
Established in 1899, Sonoco Products Company (NYSE: SON) is an international firm that creates packaging for the consumer and industrial markets. Their headquarters are in Hartsville, SC.
The materials include a variety cans, blow-molded plastic containers, and thermoformed plastic packaging.
I drew the info up to 1993 from Funding Universe and the current info from Sonoco's press releases.
- 1890: Major James L. Coker and his son, James, Jr., founded the Carolina Fiber Company in Hartsville, SC to manufacture pulp and paper from Southern Pine trees. It failed.
- 1899: Company founded as Southern Novelty Company in Hartsville, SC to make paper cones for the textile industry (using its paper pulp).
- 1923: SOuthern NOvelty COmpany shortened its name to Sonoco.
- 1927: Sonoco acquired Forney Fiber Company of Jersey City, NJ.
- 192?: They formed a partnership to expand to Manchester, England.
- 1950: Sonoco expanded into Mexico.
- 1957: Sonoco acquired National Paper Co. of Georgia.
- 1964: Sonoco began a business relationship with Showa Products Company of Japan.
- 1970: Sonoco acquired Downingtown Paper Company.
- 1971: Sonoco acquired a paper mill in Richmond, California, paper mill from Western Kraft Corporation.
- 1972: Sonoco acquired Paper Stock Dealers, Inc..
- 1972: Sonoco acquired Gaston Paper Stock Co., Inc. of Statesville, NC.
- 1979: Sonoco bought 49 percent interest in the can division of Domtar, Inc. based in Canada.
- 1979: Sonoco aquired T.P.T. Papierfabrik of Nordhorn, West Germany and in Nederland, Holland.
- 1980: Sonoco acquired Baker Industries, Inc. based in Alabama.
- 1982: Sonoco acquired Capseals, Ltd. based in England.
- 1985: Sonoco acquired Linear Products of Puerto Rico (which it later sold).
- 1982: Sonoco acquired Briggs-Shaffner Division which produced textile beams.
- 1982: Sonoco acquired most of the composite can division for Container Corporation of America.
- 1987: Sonoco acquired the Consumer Packaging Division of Boise Cascade.
- 1988: Sonoco acquired Hilex Poly Co., Inc. of Los Angeles.
- 1989: Sonoco formed a partnership with Graham Container Corp. of York, Pennsylvania called Sonoco Graham Co.. This company combined Sonoco's Petroleum Products Division with Graham's plastic bottles.
- 1991: Graham bought out Sonoco for $60 million reverting the company back to just Graham.
- 1989: Sonoco acquired Udo Fischer Co. of Maulburg, Germany.
- 1989: Sonoco formed Sonoco Taiwan Ltd. with headquarters in Taipei.
- 1989: Sonoco formed a partnership with CMB Packaging based in Denmark.
- 1990: Sonoco acquired Lhomme S.A..
- 1993: Sonoco acquired Crellin Holding, Inc. which made injection molding products.
- 1998: Sonoco and Texpack, Inc. formed a joint venture called Conitex Sonoco
- 2018: Sonoco acquired full ownership of Conitex Sonoco.
- 1999: Sonoco sold a bulk container division to Greif Bros. Corporation.
- 1999: Sonoco acquired Wood Composites Technology of Greensboro, Ga.
- 1999: Sonoco acquired composite can assets of Crown Cork & Seal Company, Inc..
- 2000: Sonoco acquired the composite can division of Amcor Packaging of Australia.
- 2001: Sonoco acquired the plywood reel division of Cumberland Wood Products, Inc.
- 2003: Sonoco acquired Australian Tube Company from down under.
- 2003: Hilex Poly Co., LLC acquired the high density film business.
- 2004: Sonoco acquired CorrFlex Graphics.
- 2004: Sonoco acquired a paper tube operation from Yatai based in China.
- 2006: Caraustar Industries, Inc. acquired folding carton business from Sonoco.
- 2006: Sonoco acquired the point-of-purchase and Fulfillment Assets of Markson Rosenthal & Co..
- 2006: Sonoco acquired assets of Cin-Made Packaging Group.
- 2006: Sonoco completes acquisition of Demolli based in Italy.
- 2006: Sonoco acquired Clear Pack of Franklin Park, Il.
- 2007: Sonoco acquired Matrix Packaging, Inc. based in Ontario.
- 2008: Sonoco acquired VoidForm® International which makes biodegradable concrete forms from paper.
- 2010: Sonoco permanently closed the Southern Plug Plant in Bastrop, La which was destroyed by fire.
- 2011: Sonoco UK acquired assets of Robinson Paperboard Packaging
- 2011: Sonoco Recycling acquired American Recycling of South Carolina, LLC.
- 2011: Sonoco acquired Tegrant Corporation, maker of protective, temperature-assured and retail security packaging solutions, from Metalmark Capital for $550 million.
- 2014: Sonoco acquired Weidenhammer Packaging Group.
- 2015: Sonoco acquired majority stake Flexible Packaging Company based in Brazil.
- 2016: Sonoco ThermoSafe acquired the assets of AAR Cold Chain Solutions.
- 2016: Sonoco ThermoSafe Acquires Laminar Medica Group.
- 2016: Sonoco acquired Peninsula Packaging Company from Odyssey Investment Partners, LLC for approximately $230 million in cash.
- 2016: Amcor acquired Sonoco's blow molding operations for $280 million.
- 2016: Sonoco acquired Plastic Packaging Inc. (PPI) based in Hickory, N.C.
- 1957: PPI was founded and specialized in short-run, customized flexible packaging.
- 2017: Sonoco acquired Cleam Lam Packaging which creates clear film packaging for $170 million
- 1969: Clear Lam was founded in Elk Grove Village, Il.
- 2018: Sonoco acquired Highland Packaging Solutions for $150 million in cash.
- 2018: Sonoco joined the Amazon APASS network which seeks to create better packaging for shipped goods.
- 2019: Sonoco acquired Corenso Holdings from Madison Dearborn Partners.
- Santa Cruz County - Business: Sonoco Thermosafe
- Colorado Springs Color - Business: Sonoco
- Logan Utah - Business: Sonoco
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next