🠈 UnitedHealth Group 🠊
UnitedHealth Group is a multinational conglomerate in the health care sector offering a combination of insurance and health care services. Their headquarters are in Minnetonka, Minnesota. Wikipedia reports that the company has over 300,000 employees. Their site says they offer services in all 50 state along with a growing international segment.
Optum is a brand for the health technology products of UnitedHealth Group. The family of web sites under the brand include:
- OptumCare which has information about insurance and providers network.
- OptumBank has information about Health Savings Accounts.
- OptumRx is a pharmacy benefits program.
- Optum 360 is a system for health practitioners that uses artificial intelligence.
- Optum 360 Coding is a program to train people to code health care data for use in the Optum system.
- OptumLabs is a program that artificial intelligence to datamine health care records.
OptumBank was created in 2003 as Exante Bank. UHG began using the brand Optum for its its health care technologies in 2011.
- 1974: Richard Taylor Burke founded Charter Med Incorporated in Minnetonka, Mm.
- 1977: The firm created United HealthCare Corporation as a holding company.
- 1977: The company managed the Physicians Health Plan of Minnesota.
- 1988, United HealthCare created Diversified Pharmaceutical Services, a pharmacy management system.
- 1994: United HealthCare sold this division to SmithKline Beecham for $2.3 billion.
- 1994: United HealthCare acquired Florida based Ramsey-HMO.
- 1995: United HealthCare acquired The MetraHealth Companies Inc. for $1.65 billion.
History of MetraHealth
MetraHealth combined the group health care operations of The Travelers Companies and MetLife.
- 1996: United HealthCare acquired HealthWise of America which operated HMOs in Arkansas, Maryland, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- 1998: United HealthCare reorganized as the holding company for UnitedHealthcare, Ovations, Uniprise, Specialized Care Services and Ingenix, and rebranded as UnitedHealth Group UHG.
- 1998: UHG acquired HealthPartners of Arizona.
- 2001: a UHG subsidiary called EverCare mergerd with LifeMark Health Plans.
- 2002: UHG acquired GeoAccess.
- 2002: UHG acquired the Medicaid insurance company AmeriChoice.
- 2003: UHG acquired Mid Atlantic Medical Services in Maryland, Washington D.C., Virginia, Delaware and West Virginia.
- 2003: UHG acquired Golden Rule Financial which provided health savings accounts.
- 2003: UHG created Exante Bank in Salt Lake city
- 2008: Exante changed its name to OptumHealth Bank.
- 2012: Subsidiary shortened its name to Optum Bank.
- 2004: UHG acquired Touchpoint Health Plan of Wisconsin.
- 2004: UHG acquired Oxford Health Plans.
- 2005: UHG acquired PacifiCare Health Systems.
- 2005: They sold the Tucson segment of the business to Cigna. to appease antitrust concerns.
- 2005: UHG acquired Prescription Solutions which managed pharmacy benefits.
- This division became OptumRx.
- 2006: UHG acquired John Deere Health Care.
- 2008: UHG acquired Sierra Health Services for $2.6 billion.
- They transferred 25,000 customers to Humana for regulatory compliance.
- 2009: UHG acquired the Northeast licensed subsidiary of Health Net for ~ $570 million.
- 2010: UHG subsidiary Ingenix acquired information provider Picis.
- 2011: UHG Subsidiary OptumHealth acquired Logistics Health, Inc. of La Crosse, Wi.
- 2012: UHG acquired XLHealth which managed Medicare Advantage plans.
- 2012: UHG started the acquired Brazilian based Amil Participações.
- 2014: Optum acquired a majority stake in the DC based startup Audax Health.
- 2014, Optum Health acquired Alere for $600 million cash.
- 2015: UHG/OptumRX acquired AxelaCare from Harvest Partners (ref).
- 2015: UHG launched Rally Health.
- 2015: UHG/OptumRx acquired Catamaran for $12.8 billion (ref).
- 2015: UHG/OptumRX acquired CatamaranRx.
- 2015: UHG acquired MedExpress which is a network of urgent care centers.
- 2016: UHG / OptumRX formed a partnership with Walgreens to deliver pharmacy benefits. (ref)
- 2016: UHG/OptumRX formed a partnership with CVS Pharmacies (ref)
- 2016: UHG pulled out of all but three healthcare exchanges of The Affordable Care Act.
- 2017: UHG acquired Rally Health for personal health management.
- 2017: UHG acquired Surgical Care Affiliates.
- 2017: The health care business of The Advisory Board Company (NASDAQ: ABCO) joined Optum.
- 2017: UHG launched PreCheck MyScript which looks for complications in medical prescriptions.
- 2018: UHG acquired 96.8% of Empresas Banmédica which offers health insurance in Chile, Columbia and Peru.
- 2019: UHG Optum acquired Davita Medical Group from DaVita Inc. for $4.3 billion.
- 2019: The Colorado Attorney general filed complaints related to UGH's acquisition of DaVita Medical (ref).
- 2019: UHG acquired Equian for $3.2 billion.
- 2019: UHG the online patient community platform PatientsLikeMe for an undisclosed amount.
- Wikipedia - UnitedHealth Group (Drawn 9/28/2019)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next