🠈 Express Oil, Tire Engineers and Mavis 🠊
Express Oil, Tire Engineers and Mavis
Mavis Discount Tire and Express Oil are chains of auto service companies owned by Golden Gate Capital.
Mavis was founded in 1949. It was known as Vic the Tire King before changing its name to Mavis in 1972.
The combined corporation was created by Golden Gate Capital; So, I will present the corporate history from Golden Gate's perspective.
- 2017: Golden Gate Capital acquired Express Oil from Carousel Capital.
History of Express Oil
- 1979: Jim Lunceford founded Express Oil Change in Birmingham, Al
- 1984: Lunceford owned four locations and began franchising.
- 1996: Ricky Brooks and Joe Watson, who were franchisees, acquired the business when it had 48 stores.
- 1998: Express acquired the 28 store chain Tune-Up Clinics based in Atlanta, Ga.
- 2005: Carousel Capital out of Charlotte, NC purchased the majority stake in Express which had 149 locations.
- 2010: Thompson Street Capital Partners of St. Louis, Mo acquired Carousel's stake.
- 2013: Carousel Capital reacquired the company from Thompson Street.
- 2013: Express acquired the seven store chain Tire Engineers out of Birmingham, Al. Express began rebranding stores as as Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers.
- 201?: Express acquired Trax Tires, Savannah Tire, Griffin Brothers, Upton Tire and others (drawn from Wikipedia).
- 2017: Wikipedia says that Golden Gate and Express acquired Brakes Plus of Denver, but I could not find a press release or other confirmation that this deal went through.
- 2018: Golden Gate acquired Mavis Discount Auto which it then merged with Express
History of Mavis Discount Tire
- 1949: Marion and Victor Sorbaro founded the company.
- 1972: The company changed its name from Vic the Tire King to Mavis Discount Tire.
- 2015: Mavis acquired the 157 store chain Somerset Tire Service Inc bringing Mavis's store count to 324.
- 2018: Mavis acquired the 69 store chain Kauffman Tires Inc. bringing Mavis to 404 stores.
- Modern Tire Dealer - Mavis Tire Supply is Acquiring Kauffman (Drawn 6/20/2019)
- Bloomberg - Mavis (Drawn 6/20/2019)
- Phoenix Color - Automotive: Express Oil and Tire Engineers
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next