🠈 Things Remembered 🠊
Things Remembered is a mall based chain offering gifts and custom engraving. I purchased several engraved items through the years to commemorate anniversaries and special events.
The company had just entered Chapter 11 negotiations when I wrote this page in February 2019. They might be closing stores.
The company was founded by Joseph Cole who began his career as a key maker in 1926 for Nat'l Key Co. of Cleveland. He then was hired to create a key division for Curtis Industries which offered keys in Sears Parking Lots. Cole then went on to buy out his employers:
- 1944: Joseph Cole founded Cole National Corp which made keys.
- 195?: Cole bought out the key contracts of Nat'l Key Co. and Curtis Industries to become largest key maker.
- 1958: The company went public.
- 1960: Cole acquired Masco Optical which he turned into the optical department at Sears.
- 1966: Cole opened "Can-Do Shop" which was a kiosk style business that offered keys and custom engraving in malls. (This business was later renamed "Things Remembered.")
- 1983: By 1983, Cole had optical stores. Many were embedded in big box stores including Sears, BJ Wholesale, Montgomery Ward and Target.
- 1984: Kohlberg Kravis Roberts acquired Cole in a deal financed by "junk bonds" issued by Drexel, Burnham and Lambert.
- 1987: The Cole family organized a leveraged buyout to reclaimed the company which had three division: Cole Key, Cole Vision and Things Remembered.
- 1988: The company shuttered the key business.
- 1994: The company had a second IPO to reduce debt.
- 1996: Cole acquired Pearle Vision for $165 million.
- 2002: Cole fired the Arthur Anderson accounting firm and restated earnings.
- 2004: Luxottica acquired Cole for its vision stores.
- 2006: Luxottica sold Things Remembered to investment firms Bruckmann Rosser Sherrill & Co. and GB Merchant Partners for $200 Million.
- 2012: Madison Dearborn Partners acquired the firm for $295 Million.
- The company was structured as TRM Holdings which had a large debt owned by Madison Dearborn.
- 2019: Unable to pay its debt, TRM Holdings filed Chapter 11. Reports say they are closing most stores.
- Phoenix Color - Shopping: Things Remembered
- Pima County - Jewelry Stores: Things Remembered
- Yavapai County - Shopping: Things Remembered
- Colorado Springs Color - Gifts: Things Remembered
- Denver Color - Gifts: Things Remembered
- Fort Collins Color - Gifts: Things Remembered
- Pueblo Color - Shopping: Things Remembered
- Internet Rivers - Personalized: Things Remembered
- Ogden, Utah - Jewelry: Things Remembered
- Salt Lake Sites - Gifts: Things Remembered
- Salt Lake Sites - Jewelry: Things Remembered
- Case University - Cole National Corporation (Drawn 2/12/2019)
- Wikipedia - Things Remembered (Drawn 2/12/2019)
- Chicago Tribune - Madison Dearborn Partners buys Things Remembered (Drawn 2/12/2019)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next