🠈 CKE Restaurants 🠊
CKE Restaurants Holdings, Inc. owns and franchises restaurants including the Carl’s Jr®, Hardee’s®. Apparently Hardee's Restaurants are found in the Eastern United States and Carl's Jr are found in the Western US. The brands Green Burrito® and Red Burrito® are brands within Carl's Jr. and Hardee's respectively.
The company has over 3,600 restaurants. It is currently owned by Roark Capital Group. It's corporate headquarters are in Franklin, Tennessee.
This section lists milestones in the corporate history of CKE.
- 1941: Carl Karcher opened a hot dog stand in Anaheim, Ca.
- 1945: Mr. Karcher opened Carl's Drive-In Barbecue.
- 1956: Karcher opened the first two Carl's Jr. which were smaller than his main restaurants.
- 1966: The company had 24 restaurants and was incorporated with the name Carl Karcher Enterprises, Inc..
- 1979: The company had over 200 restaurants and expanded outside California.
- 1981: CKE had 300 restaurants and began trading publicly.
- 1984: CKE began franchising.
- 1996: CKE acquired Rally's.
- 1996: CKE acquired Taco Bueno which it sold in 2001 for $72.5 million to reduce debt.
- 1997: CKE acquired Hardee's which had 2,500 locations
- 1960: Wilber Hardee opened his first restaurant in Greenville, NC.
- 1961: 1961 by James Carson Gardner and Leonard Rawls bought into company to help open its second restaurant.
- 1963: The company went public. Shortly there after Hardee lost his majority stake to Gardner and Shaw and later sold the rest of his stock.
- 1971: Hardee's purchased Sandy's
- 1956: Sandy's was created by four investors seeking to create McDonald's franchise. A disagreement over territory caused them to create their own brand.
- Some stores stayed independent and adopted names like Zandy's and Sandie's. They have all since closed.
- 198?: Hardee's purchased Dee's Drive In
- 1920?: Dee Frederick Anderson operated the Ute Hamburger Shop near the University of Utah.
- 1932: Dee opened the first Dee's Restaurant.
- 1982: The family sold the drive-ins to Hardee's and kept Dee's Family Restaurants.
- 2014: The last of the Dee's Family Restaurants closed.
- 1981: Imasco, based in Canada, acquired Hardee's
- 1982: Imasco acquired Burger Chef from General Foods. Most converted to Hardee's
Burger Chef's History
- 1954: Frank and Donald Thomas patented the "flame broiler" while working at General Equipment Corporation.
- 1957: They opened Burger Chef in Indianapolis, In.
- 1968: General Foods purchased the chain which had 600 stores in 39 states.
- 1972: The chain had 1200 stores.
- 1982: Most stores rebranded as Hardee's, some changed brands.
- 1990: Imasco acquired Roy Roger's Chain from Marriott.
- 1994: Heartland Food Systems which owned the Rax Restaurant chain joined Hardee's and converted multiple stores to the brand.
- 2002: CKE acquired Santa Barbara Restaurant Group., the parent company of the Green Burrito brand.
- Columbia Lake Acquisition Holdings, Inc., an affiliate of Apollo Management acquired CKE for $693.9 million.
- 2007: William P. Foley II, CEO of CKE, left the company to start Glacier Restaurant Group in Whitefish to consolidate restaurants in Montana.
- 2013: Roark Capital Group acquired CKE from Apollo for $1.65–$1.75 billion.
- Wikipedia - CKE Restaurants (Drawn 5/23/2018)
- Wikipedia - Sandy's (Drawn 5/23/2018)
- LA Times - Godfather's Founder to Invest in Green Burrito (Drawn 5/23/2018)
Prev ~ ~ Index ~ ~ Next